IS IT POSSIBLE TO MISS ALL THE PREGNANCY SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS?
When I was pregnant with my daughter, there was this reality show which I got hooked on – ‘I didn’t know I was pregnant’.
It features real women with these incredulous stories of how they went through their entire pregnancy journey without realizing they were pregnant.
Though I wanted to believe their stories I couldn’t quite comprehend how anybody could miss the obviously growing bumps, the undeniable kicks, the expanding waistlines, etc.
However, on the other hand, these shows also had on doctors from credible teaching hospitals coming out to support these bizarre ‘I didn’t know I was pregnant’ theories. This only left me further perplexed because I knew that it was hardly possible for well-known hospitals to put their names at stake all for the mere sake of reality tv. So definitely, there had to be elements of truths somewhere within these stories.
To further support these stories, a doctor friend of mine was recently telling me about a patient who was already 32 weeks along and barely showing. She said that but for the scan, it could have been easily argued that this lady was not even pregnant at all. I have also heard of a personally known lady who actually had a monthly flow all through her pregnancy. So with these two close-to-home supportive stories, I decided to research out the top reasons why people claim to have missed their pregnancies…
- Some babies are actually less active than others and their few movements could be attributed to conditions like indigestion.
- Some women actually have period-like bleeding during their pregnancy
- Some women have very irregular cycles and so several missed periods may not mean much to them
- Some women actually have fewer side effects or less severe ones which can be easily attributed to factors like stress, indigestion, etc.
- Even without pregnancy, some women tend to have painful breasts
- Excess body fat could actually hide a growing bump
- Different women carry their babies differently. Hence they may not put on as much as the expected midsection weight
- Women who may be into exercising or dieting may neutralize their pregnancy weight gain
- If a pregnancy test is taken before the HCG level becomes elevated enough to be detected, a false negative result could be obtained
- Some women are simply in denial, attributing all signs and symptoms to anything but pregnancy.
To be honest, I personally will go with reason number 10 – DENIAL! More often than not, no matter how subtle, the signs will be there. But imagine after many years of disappointment and then a medical confirmation of your inability to conceive, you just may attribute the signs to anything but pregnancy because you’re simply tired of getting your hopes high. Or imagine if you’re at a financial or emotional stage where a baby is the very last thing you want to have to deal with. You may subconsciously ignore all the obvious signs after maybe taking a pregnancy test way too early.
Just buttress my point on denial, after delivery, many of these ladies admit that there were actually a few signs here and there. But for one reason or the other, they simply attributed them to something else.
So mommies, what do you think? Is it possible to go through the entire 9 months and then actually miss all the signs? Or did you or someone you know go through the same or maybe, nearly missed the signs? Do share!!!